Saturday, January 9, 2010

When My Lungs Begin to Fail Me, I Prevail!

So, I've been battling something bronchial since Thursday night. Was that going to squash my enthusiasm for the opportunity to take a Turbo Kick Master class scheduled for Friday evening?

HECK NO!

BUT........I think I was in a little bit of denial as to the severity of the ailment.

First, I will say that I was so incredibly BLESSED by the turn out. Christine Dwyer came from Upstate NEW YORK to teach the class. My coach, Hillary Kelley, drove from CONNECTICUT to participate. My buddy from work came and A TON of ladies from my church also attended.

THANK YOU Michelle, Maria, Beverly, Rose and Iris for giving Turbo Kick a try. When I become an instructor, I will do my best to give you the best exercise experience I can.

All that is to say that TK Round 39 is KILLER! And my phlegm-filled lungs were letting me know. So, I moved my body to low-impact modifications of some of the moves.

Did that stop me from sweating enormously?
NO


Did that stop me from working every muscle in my body?
ABSOLUTELY NOT


Did it dampen my enthusiasm while doing it low-impact?
NEGATIVE, CAPTAIN


Did it mean I wasn't working to my MAX at that particular moment in time?
NOT A CHANCE!



Just because you are keeping your feet on the floor during the plyometric Turbo section doesn't mean you aren't working to your max.

Be real with yourself--ask yourself: "Can I give more to this??" If no, that's OK! You are getting the full benefit of the move because you know you have pushed yourself as far as you can.

If YES, consider--within your physical means--how you can take it to the next level.

YOU CAN! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.


Does this mean just because my lungs wouldn't allow me to take it to full, high-impact that I am a weak individual?

NO WAY!

Everyone has a maximum level at a given point in time. Next time, when my cough has subsided, I KNOW I can push harder and DO MORE.

In your journey, realize that you can do the same. And that you don't have to beat yourself up mentally if you're not at the same level as someone else. Everyone has their own maximum level.

So, for today...

ROCK ON, Fitness Buddies, ROCK ON at your MAX.


<3
EMS

No comments:

Post a Comment